Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. How do I get authorization to install a mooring?

A:  Application must be made to MSQ to get permission to install a mooring.  They have designated areas where they allow private vessel owners to install a mooring and will advise what is available.

The above link will take you to the Maritime Safety website with all the relevant information including the application form and the contact details for Maritime Safety offices throughout Queensland.  New positions will require a native title search which will take longer to approve than a position that is already in place.  Also note that positions previously occupied may have anchors still in place.  In this instance a site survey by divers may be helpful and could save you money.  

Q2. What colour marker buoy do I need?

A restricted use mooring is for private use and should be yellow in colour with registration numbers displayed clearly no less than 50mm high.  A commercial mooring buoy should be orange in colour also with registration numbers clearly visible no less than 50mm high.

Q3.  Are all divers able to do underwater work?

No, definitely not.  Not all divers are the same.  There are two distinctive types of diving qualifications - recreational and commercial diving.

Recreational certification agencies and training differ greatly.  E.g.  PADI, SSI divers are not trained for construction or industry, only for recreational tourist diving or for marine science – i.e. uni students studying fish and marine life.

Commercial divers are ADAS certified which is a Commonwealth Government certification for industrial under water work and is divided into different levels of training.  For example, Part 1 is scuba and hand tools only.  Part II is surface supplied breathing apparatus using all power tools, dredging equipment, welding and cutting equipment.  Some companies specialize in certain areas which require specific insurance and would not have the experience needed for mooring installations and inspections.  For instance you wouldn’t hire a company that harvests weeds or collects golf balls to certify the safety of your mooring.  

Q4.  How often should moorings be inspected?

It is actually a requirement by Maritime Safety Queensland that your mooring be inspected annually.  In some instances it may also be of benefit after extreme weather events to ensure peace of mind.

Q5.  Is chain better than rope?

It’s a personal preference and depends on the environment and what sort of vessel you have.  Chain is generally considered to be more secure.

Q6.  Is stainless steel better than galvanized steel?

Yes, but of course it is more expensive.  The benefit is that it is far superior in salt water as corrosion is minimal which means much longer life of components.

Q7.  Which rope is better?

It will depend on how much you wish to spend.  Three strand ropes can unwind whereas 8 platt rope will not but it is also more expensive.  

Q8.  Can commercial divers work in remote areas?

Yes, we are road mobile even out to west Queensland.

Q9. What’s the difference between tested components and non-tested components?

When selecting the type of shackles to use on your mooring you should to make sure they will be able to hold the weight of the vessel.  A tested component will guarantee the holding power that it is tested to and will also be manufactured with superior raw materials.  The cheaper non-tested components can be unreliable and generally will not last anywhere near as long therefore costing you more in the long term.